Bangalore University is located in the Garden City of Bangalore aptly hailed as the “I.T. Capital of India”, was established in July 1964 as an off shoot of the University of Mysore, primarily to include institutions of higher learning located in the metropolitan city of Bangalore and the districts of Bangalore, Kolar and Tumkur, which eventually became a separate university. Initially, the two premier colleges of the city, the Central College (CC) and the University Visvesvaraya College of Engineering (UVCE) formed the nucleus of Bangalore University.
Soon after the establishment of Bangalore University, as a first step in the re-organization of courses instructions, the University introduced Honours Courses in the year 1965-66. Three year Honour’s courses in Botany, Chemistry, Economics, English, Geology, Kannada, Mathematics and Zoology which were offered only at the University Post Graduate Departments have attracted many brilliant students. Honours passed students were admitted to Post Graduate Courses on priority and B.A./B.Sc. graduates, who marginally missed admission to the Post Graduate Courses were given an opportunity to join the final year Honours course and seek admission to Post Graduate Courses, thereafter. Since 1964, Bangalore University has grown both in size and strength to include a large number of affiliated colleges, P.G. Centers with a rich diversity of programme options. In consonance with this expansion, in 1973, the University moved into a new campus named ‘Jnana Bharathi’ (JB) located on a sprawling 1100 acres of land and shifted many of its post graduate departments to this newly established campus. At present, the JB Campus houses the office of the Vice Chancellor, Registrar, Registrar (Evaluation), Finance Officer and a large number of post graduate departments, Directorates, Centres of higher learning, NSS Bhavan, Outdoor Stadium and other support services. The University Law College, started in 1948 and The College of Physical Education, started in 1959 are located in the JB Campus.
The University has also established Gandhi Bhavan, Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Study and Research Centre, and Centre for Study on Social Exclusion and Inclusive Policy. Bangalore University has completed Fifty-two years of fruitful existence and has come to be hailed as one of the largest universities of Asia. Though originally intended to be a federal university, it has eventually emerged as an affiliating University. The University was first accredited in 2002 by NAAC with Five Star Status, re-accredited in the years 2008 and Nov. 2016 in 2nd and 3rd Cycles with ‘A’ Grade.
According to QS University Ranking: BRICS-2016, an international agency ranked Bangalore University at 151st position amongst BRICS nations. As per Hansa Research Survey 2016 published in THE WEEK-May 29, 2016 issue, Bangalore University is ranked at No. 15 in the Top Multi-disciplinary Universities at All India level, at No.9 in the Top State Multi-disciplinary Universities, No.5 in the South Zone and No.1 in the State of Karnataka.
Academically, the University is structured into six faculties- Arts, Science, Commerce & Management, Education, Law and Engineering. It has 48 Post Graduate Departments, One post graduate Centre at Kolar, (started during 1994-95), four University colleges, 684 affiliated colleges and several other Centres and Directorates of higher learning and research under its purview. At present, the University offers 50 Post Graduate Courses and Employment Oriented Diploma and Certificate Courses. The University has launched the Five years Integrated Courses in Biological Sciences.
The University is also reaching out to the society by organizing endowment and extension lectures apart from bringing out publications on issues of contemporary relevance through its Prasaranga division.