he erstwhile Government of Mysore (now the State of Karnataka) started the college in the year 1948. It was previously known as the Bangalore Government Law College. Prof. Narayan Rao was the first Principal of the college. From 1964, ULC was brought under the Faculty of Law of Bangalore University. ULC started with a two-year course, and later offered a three-year postgraduate LL.B. program till 1986.