|Genesis of Vijaya College|
|In early 1940's, there were only two colleges-Government Intermediate college and St. Joseph's college, in the entire city of Bangalore, to cater to the needs of students desirous of pursuing science education. Admission to Government College, was difficult because of less student intake and admission to St. Joseph's college was thought of being beyond the reach of many. Sighting the hardship of the general public and students, a group of visionaries came together and mooted the idea of starting a new educational institution, to provide opportunity for deserving students to pursue science education. The group included Rao Bahadur Prof B. Venkateshachar, Prof V.T. Srinivasan, Sri K. Lakshminarayana Rao, Sri K. Srinivasa Rao, Sri.C.R. Narayana Rao and others. With the mission of providing excellent education, BHS managing committee was constituted in the year 1944. The time to time contributions of several other prominent educationists such as Sri K.N.Guruswamy, Sri Rao Bahadur Dharma Prakasha L.S. Venkoji Rao, Sri H.Ramaswamy and Col. G.S.Subba Rao can never be forgotten.
At present, Prof B. V Narayana Rao is guiding the institution as the secretary of BHS Higher Education Society. He is actively involved in giving a new dimension to the college with the vision of making Vijaya College, one of the best learning centres in Karnataka. Prof B.V N. Rao is ably supported by the President Sri. G. Vishwanath and other members of the Managing Committee.
The BHS Managing Committee started the 'Bangalore Intermediate College' in Vokkaligara Sangha Campus, Vishveswarapuram, Bangalore with two sections of 60 students each. In 1946, the Bangalore Intermediate College was renamed as Vijaya College. In the year 1947, the present campus area measuring 450 ft X 500 ft was sanctioned by the City Municipality, Bangalore. A building was constructed to house the college in the new campus by January 1953.
To cater to the needs of students, new dimensions were added to the college by starting degree classes in 1956. Initially B.Sc. course with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics combination was started, followed by the addition of Chemistry, Botany and Zoology combination. Later in 1970, B.Com course was also started.