The word Hindi is originated from the Persian word Hind, which means the 'land of the Indus River'. Check other lesser known facts here.
Every year, January 10 is observed as World Hindi Day. The day marks the anniversary of first World Hindi Conference which was held in 1975. The first World Hindi Conference was inaugurated by the then prime minister Indira Gandhi. The first World Hindi Day was observed in the year 2006.
Where is Hindi spoken out of India?
Apart from India, the language is also spoken in Nepal, Guyana, Trinidad and Tobago, Suriname, Fiji and Mauritius
Hindi and Nepalese share the same script - Devanagari.
Take a look at some lesser known facts about the Hindi language!
1. Lesser known facts about the Hindi language
2. The word Hindi is originated from the Persian word Hind, which means the 'land of the Indus River'.
Hindi is one of the seven Indian languages that can be used to make web URLs.
3. Hindi is the first language of around 430 million people around the world.
4. The gender aspects of Hindi are very strict. All nouns in Hindi possess genders and the adjectives and verbs change according to gender.
5. Apart from India, the language is also spoken in Nepal, Guyana, Trinidad and Tobago, Suriname, Fiji and Mauritius. Hindi and Nepalese share the same script - Devanagari.
6. Many English words have been derived from Hindi, such as chutney, loot, bungalow, guru, jungle, karma, yoga, thug, avatar and so on.
7. In linguistic terms, Hindi belongs to the Indo-Iranian sub-family of the Indo-European family of language.
8. Hindi has been influenced and enriched by Turkish, Arabic, Persian, English and Dravidian (ancient South India) languages.
9. Hindi is a descendant of Sanskrit. Its words and grammar follow that of the ancient language.
10. The first book believed to be published in Hindi was Prem Sagar. The book was published by Lalloo Lal and depicted tales of Krishna.
11. The earliest form of Hindi was called 'Apabhramsa', which was an offspring of Sanskrit. In 400 AD, poet Kalidas wrote Vikramorvashiyam in Apabhramsa.
Read: Hindi Diwas: 15 Hindi words to up your cool quotient
Also read: World Hindi Day: How is it different from Hindi Diwas?
Interested in General Knowledge and Current Affairs? Click here to stay informed and know what is happening around the world with our G.K. and Current Affairs section.
To get more updates on Current Affairs, send in your query by mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Source : https://www.indiatoday.in/education-today/gk-current-affairs/story/world-hindi-day-2020-11-lesser-known-facts-about-hindi-language-1635598-2020-01-10
BENGALURU: The state higher education department has sought a factual report on the appointment of B ....
Statistics show that students from all over India (and abroad) make a beeline for Bangalore to pursu ....
LUCKNOW: Registrations for the Common Admission Test (CAT), to make it to Indian Inst ....
A recent survey found that most number of students from across the country choose to pursue higher e ....
Do you dream of an excellent career shaping at Bangalore? If so, you are at the right portal! Its be ....